Friday 12 November 2010

My Personal Games History

Even though I'm like a bijillion years old I only became a true gamer about a couple of years after the PS2 came out. I remember telling my mum I wanted only two games, Final Fantasy X and Yugioh - Duelist of the Roses. So she got me those two plus Eyetoy, Simpson's Hit & Run (which is a ruddy hard game) and Buffy. This was the first time I had a console all to myself, as you can imagine being a twin I had to share everything which is a pain in the ass tbh. I remember playing the games and it was awesome, raising my hands like I just don't care trying to clean windows or playing the weird card gameplay of yugioh. I had a deck full of harpies and power ups, seriously no one could beat me, by the time I was finished my harpy sisters had 9000+ hit points – it was epic. This is when I grew my love for Final Fantasy X. It was the first game I ever immersed myself in a game completely. I connected with the characters, loved the gameplay, loved the storyline. I just loved everything about the game and it's still my favourite game because of that connection. I will admit the new Final Fantasy's are rather shit, and the storylines seem to get more and more complicated. But with FFX the storyline seems much easier to follow, the Aeons were just amazing, I remember being in awe when I summoned them for the first time...*drools* I envied Seymore for having Anima, I was like HOLY SHIT I want that aeon NOW. Damn it now I have to play it, but I have work to do. Although by doing so I'll probably notice every seem and every bad texture in the game.... ahh fuck it, I do love it so.



Previous to this I had played other games, the first game I ever played was probally pong, which I think I mentioned in another blog. I can't remember the consoles name but it had knob controls, so simple but so fun. After that I think the next console brought into the house was the SNES, OMG the many hours I wasted on that. Donkey Kong Country, ahhh it brings back so many happy memories I fucking loved that game, I loved the animals you could ride on, the ostrich was my favourite, god I get so passionate that I want to play it, but unfortunately I don't have my SNES with me =(. Mario world was also epic, actually anything with Yoshi in it is just class. These old games are soo cool, this is the golden age of gaming where they were original and fun. I miss these games.


Once the SNES had run it's course it was time for a new console to enter the family home, the Sega Mega Drive. The hours I would spend simply because you couldn't save. For example hours and hours of playing Sonic trying to get as far as I could. It was all futile because I either died or became tired and collapsed from dehydration. My favourite titles for this console was Golden Axe and Streets of Rage. Whatever happened to good co-op games like this?












After the old classics came the PSOne, in which I have regaled the story of me being scared of the first tomb raider because I'm shit. But I had very little games on the PSOne, my favourite game for it was probably SimCity 2000. All I did was load pre-made cities and start spamming them with disaster after disaster. Even though I said I love FF, I didn't have the ones everyone loves like FFVII or FFIX for the PSOne, I had seen people play it and it's still a game have to buy...I'll get there eventually. I suspect I'll play it because it has awesome pixelated summons.


After the PSOne I then finally got the PS2 in which I have already told you about. FFX is my favourite game but I have do have others. For example Shadow of Colossus, X-Men Legends, Persona 3, Fahrenheit, MagnaCarta...etc. The list goes on but I like odd games with different gameplay. Like I love playing X-Men Legends because it's a good co-op game, there are so few off-line co-op games its frigging annoying. I think on-line gaming has destroyed the social interaction with actual physical people. I much prefer playing with people off-line as I can annoy them in real life, so much funnier. Fahrenheit is an awesome game because fight scenes are based on the reaction of the player and you go through the game making choices. I like different games, not mainstream ones, granted I do like Assassins Creed and Devil May Cry and such but I still prefer the odd ones. MagnaCarta is the game Jolyon Webb showed for the example of beautiful anime art. I was like AWESOME he recognised this game as having anime style but also being beautifully drawn. Shadow of the Colossus has epic monsters, a game with only 16 enemies, they are massive and just so cute and awesome (as I said I love cute things, but I will admit I have a distorted view of cute).






















I then gave in and finally bought a Xbox 360, yes its visually better than PS2 but as I said they just keep repeating titles but changing the assets. My favourite games for 360 is probably Fable, Portal and Prince of Persia. Pop is one of them game, it's really easy to play but it's visually stunning and it's stylised. The art direction for that game is just amazing, I love stylised games if they are done well but it's hard to get right. Portal is made amazing by GLaDOS, she is a stroke of genius. She made me laugh so much during the boss fight I was like Shut up, I'm trying to work. What makes her so epic is she has a human personalty especially nearer the end of the game. Some of my fav quotes are as follows;

"There was even going to be a party for you. A big party that all your friends were invited to. I even invited your best friend the companion cube. Of course he couldn't come because you murdered him. All your other friends couldn't come either because you don't have any other friends because of how unlikable you are."

"Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'? That was great."

"If you love it so much why don't you marry it?"

"That thing is probably some kind of raw sewage container. Go ahead and rub your face all over it!

*destorys orb* " That made shoes for orphans "

Recently I haven't really been playing anything, I do love a game for the PC called Machinarium. I'm going to do it for my game review but its dead cute and such a good game.

Oh and one last thing I totally forgot, my amazing shitty gameboy and my epic Pokemon game. I heart Bulbasaur <3, I'll leave you with some awesome Pokemon concepts, それを読んでくれてありがとう





No comments:

Post a Comment