Thursday 28 October 2010

Industry Talk – Aaron Allport & Jolyon Webb

The talk on Wednesday was a great but there was one excepting... the Q&A part went on a little long and I think everyone was dying inside from the heat. But I thank and applause them for answering all the questions and to take time out to come and visit us. Just because the Q&A was long doesn't mean I found it boring, they gave good advice and I am ashamed at myself for not knowing any of the artists they mentioned. There is one thing I want to do on this course is to know more artists from all periods of time, this will help me so much later on in life. For example if an employer asks who is your favourite artist, I would most likely go ummm....can I have another question please. So I need to broaden my understanding of the art world and so I will research the artists that were mentioned in the talk.

The talk was interesting, funny and showed real industry examples along with enthusiastic words to make us know we have chosen the correct career path. Aaron said about the key strengths in blitz are; quality, diverse skills and style, interesting character development and training and support for staff. Blitz does seem like it has the whole package, I think it just needs a good original IP to make me want to go to them. For me I need a games company that is interesting, ever changing and odd. I am not slating blitz I'm just saying I don't think it's where I want to be at the end of this course. This all sounds very pompous and up my own ass, but they really did a good job speaking to us and I loved the rigging in Maya it was so awesome. I still set my sights for lionhead studios.

Some things I will take from the talk is how important 1st hand photography is and how handy speed painting is to get you use to the tools of PS and quicken your sketches ( I am very slow at sketching at the minute *sad face*). I also noticed that Jolyon does a lot of his digital sketches in monochrome first then converts them into colour. This is interesting as if you can get across the point in black, white and grey then you're in the right direction. I suppose that's why this course focus' on pencil drawing for a lot of the year. Jolyon also mentioned moodboards for idea generation, I did loads of moodboard during my college course but I dint think it would apply here. It makes perfect sense to gather a moodboard of thoughts if you are stuck it just never occurred that it would be acceptable. So later if I have to design something I will make moodboards to show my research and thought process. One other think he said was make a basic model of a scene on 3Ds Max then work from that adding details, this is such a good idea. Being an artist you always get brain malfunction and you can't think of what to add into your picture to make it better. I will definitely use Jolyon's techniques, especially for environmental scenes.

I am going to look at some of the artists Jolyon spoke of, some I like others aren't my cup of tea. For example FX Messerschimidt is...what's the word...disturbed is probably the best way to describe him. I find his sculptured very weird. Don't get me wrong I love weird and wonderful things especially sculpture, it's just I think I'll have nightmares just looking at it. They are wonderfully sculpted are show amass amount of emotion, aesthetically they are amazing but I hate them.

Ernst Haeckel on the other hand I find fasanating, as well as being an artist he was a professor, biologist, physician, and as well as this he just looks plain awesome. He also met Charles Darwin and by reading his book on the Origin of Species he dropped his job straight away to launch a new career path. His art was about species, below is one two of my favourite pieces of his. The frog on just has so much character but only has shades of green and yellow. The other one almost the opposite with lots of vibrate colours and he incorporates motion through the birds stances. For me he is just a fascinating man, he followed his dream even when it meant he had to lose everything he gained in the process, but in doing so he became a revolutionary figure in a number of professions.




















Albrecht Durer, another german artist. For me his greatest art is his studies, whether is be cloth, items or people his studies are so cute and he has a great eye for detail. Below are some examples of his work. I think he was undertaking the first Game art course ever lol



< Design a Goblet sketches?


Design a Goblet final piece? >







 Interesting Character Design?            Life Drawing?                          Still-Life?

                                          Self Portrait in the style of Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment